Wednesday 8 June 2016

A HOUSEWIFE'S ANECDOTE. 06

 The days slowly crept by, I held my breath waiting for Adams call every day, eleven days had passed and still no call from Adams, I was getting so uneasy, Boma and her friends were making me so uncomfortable, I Hadn't eaten in the house for the last one week,
because Ronke had practically moved in and she was constantly in the kitchen cooking up one mess or the other. I had spent my last money on a loaf of bread down the street, as I walked home, I wondered if I should just come clean with my parents and go home, it was only a matter of time before Boma threw me out of her house, a few minutes after I got home,  my mom called me to inform me of my brother's entry into the university, I was so happy but my joy was shortlived when she added that she and my dad needed a loan from me to balance larry's fees, I immediately felt sick to my stomach, I slowly asked how much, she said fifty thousand naira, adding that she and dad would pay me back as soon as he was paid, that the urgency of the money was the reason they needed my help that the admission would be cancelled if the money wasn't paid in seven working days, I reassured her that the money would get to her before then. 
     As I hanged up the phone, I was overwhelmed with sadness and pain at the thought that my brother's admission was hanging in a balance, fifty thousand!!, I did not even have fifty naira of my own, seven days was around the corner, I did not have a plan, I could have begged and grovelled if I was sure that there was a tiny possibility that Ronke was going to give me, this was the moment I was waiting for, I steadily picked up my phone and scrolled to Adams contact, I said a little prayer in my heart, then I dialled the number,  he picked on first ring,while I was still contemplating what to say, he sounded surprised as he slowly said hello, immediately I panicked and hung up, he called back immediately, all I could say was, can I see you? he replied yes and quickly took down my address. 
   I dressed up and applied a very lite makeup, even though I was sad and all, I had to look good, I had not seen him for a long while, I stepped into the living room, as usual, boma and her friends were sprawled all over the place, there was a knock on the door, certainly, it couldnt be Adams, it was barely twenty minutes we spoke, he couldn't get here that soon, Irene, one of the girls stood up to get the door, she stood for a few minutes all my efforts to see who was at the door was futile, as I was about giving up, she asked the visitor to step in, there was a sudden silence in the room, in a brown corduroy pants and a navy blue sweatshirt that highlighted his ocean blue eyes, Adams was breath taking, his hello fell on deaf ears, because all the girls were in a love-induced trance, I suddenly felt so proud and confident as I walked up to him, I gave a brief introduction and I walked out with Adams hands in mine, out, in front of the building lied a sporty convertible Chrysler, it was a red coupe with shiny wheels,  in my mind eye, I could see boma and her friends looking through the window. Adams and I found a quiet and secluded bar to sit and talk, he was so easy to talk to, I poured out my heart to him, from my humiliation in boma's place to my joblessness and the most recent, larry's school fees
    After a brief pause, he berated me for not coming to him sooner, I mumbled a semblance of apology and we talked about him and reminisced about the past, that night Adams asked me to pack all my belongings from boma's house and move into one of his father's exotic hotels, as i got to boma's house, they were all seated and watching television and for once in a long time, there was no sudden outburst of laughter, I said hello and asked to speak to boma in private. i thanked her for taking me in and for been a good  friend, i told her i was leaving and to my amazement she broke into tears and hugged me, after a series of questions which i patiently answered, i picked up my luggage and i said my goodbyes and i left boma's place, that night marked the beginning of a new era for me.
    I got settled in my room in Adams father's hotel, I wasn't comfortable with it, but it was better than my last abode, the next day Adams sent a hundred thousand naira to my mom for larry's fees and I had three interviews lined up  for the next seventy-two hours, Adams took me out for shopping and for the next couple of days we were inseparable, we had not spoken about our relationship yet, and so far he had been a perfect gentleman, exactly ten days after Adams came back into my life, I got my letter of appointment from a top telecommunication company with a six digit salary, I was so excited, that evening Adams took me out to celebrate we dined on intercontinental cuisines and exotic champaigns, I wasn't much of a drinker after a couple of glasses I was stupefied. I had no further recollections of my actions, I woke up in my hotel room all changed and covered up, I hurriedly touched my crouch, all seemed well. Adams must have brought me back here and  put me to bed, I had no memory of any of that happening, most guys would have taken advantage of my vulnerability, not Adams, my respect for him tripled.
  A night before i resumed my new job, i and Adam had a long talk, he wanted me back in his life, we talked about the past, deep down i had already forgiven him, i wanted him back in my life, we both promised to make it work, after all, the help he had rendered to me, I started thinking of a way to broach the topic of my impending relationship with Adams to my mum, he was a Muslim and my parents are staunch Catholics.  I was past the stage of caring, I loved Adams and I was ready for this new stage of my relationship. life was looking up, I had a promising job, a doting boyfriend, what could go wrong?











Join Lilian every weekday, as she relives the good, bad and ugly memoirs of her marriage,love and life. 

No comments: