Tuesday 31 May 2016

A HOUSEWIFE'S ANECDOTE. 01

 I woke up this morning to the blinding ray of sun streaming in from my window.
I could have sworn that I had shut the windows, or did I? it must have been the 1865 chateau Lafite, I had taken last night, you see, my husband is a connoisseur of good wines and lately I have been binging out on his stash, holy gracious! my head feels like the Nigerian army is having a parade in there, in one unguided moment of depression, I had let myself slip into the abyss of the false comfort of alcohol, I needed help.
  Where are my manners?! my name is Lilian katanko, I am from the south south area of Nigeria, but my darling husband is from the north, I am a mother to three adorable kids,my husband is a wealthy oil merchant, I am just a housewife. I am happily married.
    I have always found it suspicious when women have to reiterate that they were happily married, I always felt they were trying to convince themselves that they were indeed happy, happiness radiates, I am not talking about a perfectly contoured face, well-shaped eyebrows, and plumped up lips, I am talking about, the twinkle in your eyes, the easy smile and the laughter dancing on the corners of your lips sort of happiness. The look of a contented woman who was happily married.
    I was not this woman, I was a sad, broken and recently turned alcoholic who hardly stayed sober anymore, I had become a bad mother, my kids cowered in my presence, No!, I don't hit them.
     How did it get so bad ? what happened to me? I was every guy's dream, tall, chocolate skinned, curvy, with long never ending legs, a pointed nose, and my grey eyeballs that always left men staring endlessly, I was the toast of my federal campus, I was beautiful with a brain that could have made Albert Einstein proud.
  I graduated top of my class, I had the whole world ahead of me. my parents were called lucky, to have a beautiful daughter who was academically sound, my life was in control and on track till I went for the mandatory NYSC and I met Adamu katanko, everyone called him Adams. He was the most beautiful being I had ever seen, eyes as blue as the ocean, he was tall with pink lips, one look at him and I was smitten, I was lost in the ocean of his blue eyes, his well-rounded pink lips like a juicy apple, I had never been in love before, I was now. And so were half the girls in my camp.
   As luck would have it, he was in my platoon, every girl was trying to get his attention, I did not stand a chance, I hated unhealthy competition, so I watched on the sidelines as girls brazenly and unabashedly threw themselves at him, I could never do that, I was too shy, damn it! he seemed to be enjoying all the attention he was getting too, he always had a different beautiful girl on his arm every other day, what a hot mess! A hot mess I wanted so bad, he hadn't even talked to me yet, but he had already broken my heart severally. I had etched an image of him in my heart, I always receded there whenever I wanted to be alone with him, if only I was artistic, I would paint a picture of his face, it would almost equal the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci.
   The camping period ended and we got posted to our various places of primary assignment, Adams never noticed me. 









Join Lilian every weekday, as she relives the good, bad and ugly memoirs of her marriage,love and life. 

No comments: