Saturday 4 June 2016

THOUGHTS IN INK

    


      As I sit here again, thinking how another twenty-four hours as come to an end, how time just goes by and I can’t do anything about it, sitting across the table is a 14 years old girl called Tina, unlike the other kids, she knows what she wants and is very assertive towards it, I like her.
I wish I could say the same thing for the girl sitting beside her, unlike Tina, she’s fair, average height and a pout that makes you want to slap the hell out of her, she’s 14 years old, or probably 13, you can’t tell with this kids, all looking older than their ages .too fed, too spoilt, rich kids who see life as a circus and the adults as the clowns,  As I gaze round each and every one of them I realized that they were all beautiful in their own ways, and in some little way some of their parents had gotten this whole parenting thing wrong.
     My name is Aroha, I am a house mistress or human manager as I would like to call it. How did I get here?  What happened to my dreams? I wanted to be a pharmacist, then a microbiologist, ooh I remember, Life happened! Well,…that’s a story for another day.
    My day starts at 05:00am, the buzz of my alarm rudely wakes me up, I grope for my glasses on my side table, I throw my robes on, then I saunter clumsily to the reception, turn on the light, my gaze wanders for a split second, just behind the chair lies a white switch with a key like ignition, the girl’s nightmare. As I turn the key, the house is suddenly awoken by a shrill sound that simultaneously irritates me as it irritates the girls. I let the siren ring for a while, so it is impossible for it to be ignored. I stand in the reception for a while, waiting for the first rustle of footsteps as they trot down the stairs, I listen carefully, Silence.
    As I contemplate ringing the siren the second time, I hear a jostle of feet, I waddle back to my room, I stare at the bed lustfully and pick up my bible, it’s time for the morning devotion, I can hear the faint sound of their voices, you would think they were a million miles away, as opposed to about five steps away. I walk into the hall, on seeing me their voices pick up a few more pitches. All 24 pairs of eyes follows my movement from the doorway to my regular sitting spot, as I stood there clapping my hands and singing my mind kept drifting to my recently sour relationship, I was yet to come to terms with the break up, the past few weeks had been filled with hopes and fantasies that he would realize how much he needed me in his life, I was ready to take him back, I couldn’t bring myself to start a new relationship all over again, suddenly I felt piercing gazes, I realized all this while my eyes were closed, as I slowly opened them, I realized that I was lost in the throes of my thoughts and the girls were waiting for my cue to start reading the bible as it was the norm, I slowly coughed and mumbled amen in a semblance like I just rounded a spirit filled intercession, the rest of the devotion was a blur. My thoughts conflicted. And as I sauntered back to my room, I knew someday in a not too distant future, I would look back at this day and smile after all everything culminated to the word EXPERIENCE.

No comments: