Wednesday 1 June 2016

A HOUSEWIFE'S ANECDOTE. 02


       I was posted to a big advertising agency,
I was so excited, most of my friends got posted to schools and were already boring me with their tales of woes, I was convinced that God was looking out for me, time flew by speedily, I still wondered what eventually became of my camp crush, Adams. Three months left to the end of the service year,on my way back from work, I was standing on the side of the road drenched in the mother of all rain storms, for some unfortunate stroke of luck, no bus was plying my route, I was contemplating taking a walk rather than just stand by the sidewalk in my now see through clothes, in my confusion, I heard a car horn, it was a black Mercedes,the windows were tinted black, in Lagos this was a death trap with the alarming rate of ritual killers, I hissed and kept walking, to my amazement, the car kept following me, then I heard a deep voice say, "you are going to catch a cold", I turned to give a retort,in one single instant, my brain melted like molten magma and I was stuttering, sitting in the front seat of the Mercedes was Adams, I was disconcerted, I only nodded when he asked me to come into the car, the ride down to my place was the most awkward ride ever, as I struggled to cover the outline of my breasts from my soaked clothes and pull down my gown to cover my knee, if adamu remembered me from the camp, he gave me no inclination about that, I had spent the last nine months dreaming about someone who didn't even know I existed, my ego was crushed.
     As he dropped me off, on my street, he asked for my number, I reached for my phone in my bag, the rain had messed it up, it wasn't coming on, I stood there fiddling and cursing softly at my phone, what a nightmare! He stretched a paper towards me, asking me to call him, no please, no courtesy. Arrogant imp! without waiting for any form of acknowledgement from me, he just revved the car engine and drove off, I stood under the rain and stared till his car left my eyeline, I was transfixed, the paper with his number was soaked and on the verge of tearing up, I held it carefully and took it into my room and kept it on the windowsill to dry, for seven days I contemplated calling him or not, when I finally placed the call, after two rings he picked and his deep baritone voice rang out "took you long enough".
   We had our first date, he was a sweet young man, I came to learn that he owed his beautiful features to his caucasian mum and his Fulani dad, I fell helplessly in love with him, he was doting, caring, handsome and stinkingly rich, it is a lethal combination. I became the envy of all girls at my office, every day with him was like a fairy tale, overnight I transformed from a conservative girl to an ostentatious party girl, that's what he wanted.I lived to please adamu katanko. I could tell he loved me too, he had respected my one wish of not having premarital sex, I could tell, it was a difficult decision for him, he wasn't interested in the girls that shamelessly threw themselves at him, he had eyes for only me, our service year soon came to an end, it was time to go back home, the advertising agency did not retain me, partly due to the fact that I had been unreliable and a frequent late comer lately, while other times i just did not show up at work, to be fair, dating Adams was a full-time job on it's own,in between Impromptu parties and trips,i had lost interest in my job.I wasn't sorry to see it slip through my grasp.
   As I packed my things preparing for my journey back home in port harcourt, everything was different now, I couldn't leave Adam here, deep down I was worried because we had not had sex and my subconsciousness kept taunting me, if sex validates a relationship,then maybe I was just dating myself, what if adamu forgot all about me, the what if's were so many, i was self conflicted, my fantasy was my husband been the first to pop this cherry, what if adamu was my husband ? sighs! my parents would never let me marry a Muslim, although Adams wasn't a practising Muslim,he seldom went to mosque or had praying beads,I decided to hold up my trip for one more week. In that one week, I saw the other side of Adams, a dark,calculative and manipulative side. I saw a flash of the devil in him.










Join Lilian every weekday, as she relives the good, bad and ugly memoirs of her marriage,love and life. 


    

No comments: